From The Indianapolis Star, Sunday, September 5, 1926: Six Sisters of Providence are busily engaged daily in last-minute preparations for the opening of Ladywood, the newest school for girls in Indianapolis. Located seven miles northeast of the city on Millersville Rd, Ladywood is on the former Stoughton Fletcher estate, hidden in trees and surrounded by hills and streams, the site was recently purchased by the Sisters. The mammoth building is receiving the final touches that will make the school a home for thirty young women who are the first enrollees. Carpenters, electricians, other craftsmen, and decorators are rushing to complete their work for the school’s opening on September 28. The former third floor ballroom has been converted into a chapel, and the many bedrooms are now furnished with single beds and furniture that will bring delight to the feminine heart.
-
Other News This Week
- Celebrate Labor Day September 6
- Indy Chamber Foundation Receives Grant for Life in Indy
- Support the IMPD East District Community Engagement Fund
- Indiana Authors Awards Announces 2026 winners
- Tales From The Notebook Pile
- 10 Most Endangered Places in Indiana Announced
- Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over Enforcement Campaign Begins
- Beef & Boards Announces 2027 Season
- Applause!: Aug. 28-Sept. 3
- Indiana Humanities Announces Literary Festival Lineup
Search Site for Articles


