From The Indianapolis Star, Thursday, September 13: The Marion County Council on Defense passed a resolution yesterday denouncing the teaching of German language in Indianapolis public schools, and called upon all patriotic and loyal parents to notify various school principals not to put their children in classes where German is taught. The resolution characterized the teaching of German while the United States is engaged in a life and death struggle with the German Empire – the enemy of democracy, liberty, and humanity – as unwise, unpatriotic, and a useless and unnecessary expenditure of public money. George Buck, Shortridge High School principal, declared, “There is a decided slump in the German classes, and a large increase in French classes.” Kaiser Bill’s official language is also receiving the “cold shoulder” from hundreds of students at Manual Training High School and Arsenal Technical High School.
Other News This Week
- What REALLY Happened to the H.H. Holmes House?
- Organizations Awarded $300K to Fight Food Insecurity
- Applause!: Oct. 20-26
- 71st Historic Irvington Halloween Festival Guide
- Dancing With Witches
- Ball Canning Jars
- IMPD Deputy Chief Named President of NAWLEE
- This Week’s Issue: Oct. 20-26
- Barbecue Premieres at the Phoenix
- Mass Ave. Industrial Corridor Rebranded
Search Site for Articles