From The Indianapolis News, Saturday, August 18: Five barbers were arrested and five grocerymen face arrest as a result of another attempt to force barbers and grocerymen to close their places of business on Sunday. The charge is that the men accused violated the Sunday closing laws last Sunday. The barbers were arrested shortly after the affidavits were filed, and the constables were to arrest the grocery keepers late today. The filing of the affidavits and the arrests are part of a plan to force the barber shops and groceries to close their doors on Sunday. An injunction suit is now pending in superior court asking that the Claypool Hotel barber shop be restrained from opening on Sunday, but a decision has not been reached. To prevent the opening of shops tomorrow the Indianapolis Church Federation filed the affidavits today.
Other News This Week
- Greenfield Service Agency Awarded Major Lilly Endowment Grant
- Bobbie the Wonder Dog
- White River State Park celebrates MLK, Jr. Day with Free Admissions
- IPS Announces 37th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Tribute and Celebration
- Peace. Love. Understanding.
- Scecina Recognized With School Excellence Award
- This Week’s Issue: Jan. 12-18
- Blood Shortage at Indiana Blood Center
- University Heights Named Neighborhood of the Month
- 100 Years Ago This Week: Jan. 12-18
Search Site for Articles