From The Indianapolis Star, Monday, August 27: A crowd of 200,000 persons lined twenty-eight blocks of downtown streets yesterday afternoon to greet the uniformed men of the Indiana National Guard, who will soon go overseas, and the conscripted young men in their Sunday best who have been selected for the national army, as they passed by in a great military review. The monster assemblage was the biggest and most inspiring demonstration ever witnessed in Indianapolis. People jammed every available space to show their love and affection for the Hoosier sons of liberty – the flower of Indiana youth. The guardsmen and the men who will soon be mobilized, including a large number of young black men, were cheered and applauded with every step taken along the parade route. Across the sea of onlookers, small flags were constantly waved with patriotic enthusiasm.
Other News This Week
- Applause!: Sept. 22-28
- Monon16 Redevelopment Promises More Eastside Revitalization
- The Ws.
- Indianapolis: The Great Flood of 1913, Part 2
- Honk! Eastsider Remembers September 11
- Bicentennial Torch Relay Documentary to be Screened at Heartland Film Festival
- “Blazing Barriers” at Garfield Park, Special Discussion on CCC
- New Public Art on 16th St.
- Celebrating Fall — Hoosier Style
- Neighborhoods Collaborating to Create Positive Change to be Honored
Search Site for Articles