In 2012, Foundation East commissioned the first round of traffic signal box murals in Irvington along East Washington Street. In 2013, the remainder of the traffic boxes throughout Irvington were painted through a second commission by Foundation East. Since then, neighborhoods throughout Indianapolis have painted traffic signal boxes. The signal box at Washington Street and Emerson Avenue was damaged and replaced in 2015. Irvington Development Organization (IDO) is making it available for repainting.
Designs must be submitted by May 1, 2017 for consideration in the competition. The winning design will be announced by May 12. The artist will have until June 30, 2017 to complete the painting and clear coating of the traffic box.
Selected artist will receive:
• $1,200 cash stipend (artist will be responsible for purchasing all materials, including high-quality outdoor paint.)
• An opportunity to display original works in an exhibition at the Bona Thompson Memorial Library
Criteria for selection includes:
• The design should reflect the character of the neighborhood.
• Design must wrap all five sides of the traffic signal box.
• One or a combination of Irvington’s branding color scheme should be included. Pantone colors: PMS 582, 228, 1595, 130, Cool Gray 11, Cool Gray 8.
• Availability to lay out and paint the design by June 30, 2017.
• Preference will be given to eastside artists.
• Preference will be given to artists who have competed in a juried art show.
Submissions and questions should be directed to IDO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other News This Week
- IMPD Officer Wins TOP COPS Award
- A Bowl of Mints
- City Re-Launches Indianapolis Violence Reduction Partnership
- The Hidden Dangers of Pallet Wood
- Dave Wilson & John Andretti: A Friendship
- Shrek, The Musical debuts at Beef & Boards on May 18
- Federick Polley Retrospective at the Bona Thompson Memorial Center May 13-July 31
- George W. Julian School 57 Awarded Learning Garden
- Kiritsis And Me: Enduring 63 Hours at Gunpoint by Dick Hallwith Lisa Hendrickson
- Applause!: May 19-25
Search Site for Articles