In 2012, Foundation East commissioned the first round of traffic signal box murals in Irvington along East Washington Street. In 2013, the remainder of the traffic boxes throughout Irvington were painted through a second commission by Foundation East. Since then, neighborhoods throughout Indianapolis have painted traffic signal boxes. The signal box at Washington Street and Emerson Avenue was damaged and replaced in 2015. Irvington Development Organization (IDO) is making it available for repainting.
Designs must be submitted by May 1, 2017 for consideration in the competition. The winning design will be announced by May 12. The artist will have until June 30, 2017 to complete the painting and clear coating of the traffic box.
Selected artist will receive:
• $1,200 cash stipend (artist will be responsible for purchasing all materials, including high-quality outdoor paint.)
• An opportunity to display original works in an exhibition at the Bona Thompson Memorial Library
Criteria for selection includes:
• The design should reflect the character of the neighborhood.
• Design must wrap all five sides of the traffic signal box.
• One or a combination of Irvington’s branding color scheme should be included. Pantone colors: PMS 582, 228, 1595, 130, Cool Gray 11, Cool Gray 8.
• Availability to lay out and paint the design by June 30, 2017.
• Preference will be given to eastside artists.
• Preference will be given to artists who have competed in a juried art show.
Submissions and questions should be directed to IDO at email@example.com.
Other News This Week
- Cumberland Arts Goes to Market 2017
- Applause!: Aug. 18-24
- This Week’s Issue: Aug. 18-24
- 100 Years Ago: Aug. 18-24
- IMPD Promotes Several to Command Staff
- Franciscan Health Hosts Kids’ Car Seat Safety Event
- In the Days of the Lost Sunshine 2017
- Colts Preseason Loss
- Coca-Cola “Before” Tour Reveals Beautiful Surprises
Search Site for Articles