Imogene — “Imy” — Jones passed away last week at the age of 110. Imy had strong community ties. She was an excellent writer who wrote a weekly column for The Eastside Herald that was the predecessor of this paper. She called it “The Eastside Emporium” and used it to help publicize Irvington events such as the Luminaria that she helped start when she was a member of the Irvington Community Council.
Imogene was also Director of the Junior Red Cross of Indianapolis, Director of the Indianapolis Campfire Girls, and a tireless volunteer for the Marion County Children’s Guardian Home Guild.
She owned the Four Seasons Import Shop on Johnson Ave. After the Irvington Post Office was closed, she added a U.S. Post Office to her shop as a community service. A widow for many years, she later married a fellow Irvingtonian, George Long. Those who knew the warm-hearted Imy fondly remember her.
Other News This Week
- Scholarship Ghost Tour Sells Out
- 100 Years Ago: Sept. 22-28
- Indiana State Museum to Honor Veterans with Display
- Cabaret Poe Returns Oct. 13
- A Tale of Four Families
- Bicentennial Torch Relay Documentary to be Screened at Heartland Film Festival
- Hispanic Heritage Month in Indianapolis to Oct. 15
- Buck Creek Players Present “Nuts”
- How Much is That Doggy?
Search Site for Articles