Imogene — “Imy” — Jones passed away last week at the age of 110. Imy had strong community ties. She was an excellent writer who wrote a weekly column for The Eastside Herald that was the predecessor of this paper. She called it “The Eastside Emporium” and used it to help publicize Irvington events such as the Luminaria that she helped start when she was a member of the Irvington Community Council.
Imogene was also Director of the Junior Red Cross of Indianapolis, Director of the Indianapolis Campfire Girls, and a tireless volunteer for the Marion County Children’s Guardian Home Guild.
She owned the Four Seasons Import Shop on Johnson Ave. After the Irvington Post Office was closed, she added a U.S. Post Office to her shop as a community service. A widow for many years, she later married a fellow Irvingtonian, George Long. Those who knew the warm-hearted Imy fondly remember her.
Other News This Week
- Danica and Aaron?
- University Heights Named Neighborhood of the Month
- Applause!: Jan. 12-19
- Blood Shortage at Indiana Blood Center
- The Thrill of the Hunt
- Artist Elizabeth Seagull Heeter Gone Too Soon…
- 100 Years Ago This Week: Jan. 12-18
- White River State Park celebrates MLK, Jr. Day with Free Admissions
- Art Along the Waterways — A Citywide Success Story
- IPS Announces 37th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Tribute and Celebration
Search Site for Articles