INDIANAPOLIS — The Facilities Utilization Taskforce has released a comprehensive report to analyze and make recommendations on IPS facilities. Most of the district’s seven high schools are at less than 50 percent capacity. The taskforce, convened in September 2016, is comprised of eight internal and eight external members.
The report notes that enrollment in IPS has declined substantially since the early 1970s, and despite rapid growth in Center Township in the housing market, new residents do not have school age children that would need high schools in the next decade. In addition, the report noted that declines in revenue from Center Township property taxes make it difficult to maintain the current seven high schools in the system. The report also noted that IPS has taken several steps to decrease operational expenses, including disposing of seven properties, increasing efficiencies through technology, and more. The full report can be found on the IPS Web site, www.myips.org
The taskforce presented their complete report at the Board of School Commissioners Work Session on April 18 at Thomas D. Gregg School 15 located at 2302 E. Michigan St.
IPS will also spend the next several months gathering input and feedback before making a decision on school closure. This detailed process includes a series of community meetings to listen to public comments and concerns. That feedback will be considered as part of the final recommendation to the Board that is scheduled for action in September 2017.
Meetings will be held:
• Wed., April 26 at the Glendale Library, 6101 N. Keystone Ave. from 6 – 8 p.m.
• Mon., May 1 at the Ivy Tech Culinary Center,2820 N. Meridian St. from 6 – 8 p.m.
• Thurs., May 11 at Zion Hope Baptist Church, 5950 E 46th St. from 6-8 p.m.
• Mon., May 15 at the Haughville Library, 2121 W. Michigan St. from 6-8 p.m.
Other News This Week
- Cumberland Arts Goes to Market 2017
- In the Days of the Lost Sunshine 2017
- A Return to Simplicity: Mission Style Furniture
- Franciscan Health Hosts Kids’ Car Seat Safety Event
- IMPD Promotes Several to Command Staff
- The World’s Longest Yard Sale Eclipsed
- Eliza And Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
- 100 Years Ago: Aug. 18-24
- This Week’s Issue: Aug. 18-24
Search Site for Articles