IRVINGTON — A long-standing tradition on the east side, the Irvington Ice Cream Social, will take place on Sun., Aug. 2 from 2-5 p.m. at the Bona Thompson Memorial Center, 5350 University Ave. The White River Jazz Band will perform. Enjoy cake, ice cream (furnished by Wyliepalooza Ice Cream Emporium), iced tea or lemonade at a small charge — while relaxing and socializing with friends and neighbors on the lawn of the former Butler University library’s lawn.
Now in its 51st year, the Ice Cream Social is a chance for Irvington residents to support the Irvington Historical Society’s founding. Started with just a few people interested in preserving Irvington’s landmarks, the fledgling organization threw an Ice Cream Social as its first community event. Proceeds from the Ice Cream Social help to support the Society.
After residents finish their cake and ice cream, they can visit the many interesting exhibits inside the Bona, including a large collection of Hoosier School art and the Angels of West Baden exhibit downstairs. Admission to the Bona is free; donations are encouraged. Residents can also buy a membership to the Irvington Historical Society for only $25 for one year.
Visit www.irvingtonhistorical.org for more information about the Irvington Historical Society and the Bona Thompson Memorial Center.
Other News This Week
- October Madness
- Heartland Film Festival Closes Oct. 22
- World War I 100 Years Ago: Oct. 20-26
- Rosanna Hardin Hall Releases Book October 25
- Irvington Named Neighborhood of the Month
- Mass Ave. Industrial Corridor Rebranded
- October Diary 2017, Part 1
- Barbecue Premieres at the Phoenix
- 71st Historic Irvington Halloween Festival Guide
- Organizations Awarded $300K to Fight Food Insecurity
Search Site for Articles